nos-trum. pronunciation: \nos'-trum\. noun. Etymology: Latin, neuter of noster our, ours.
1. a medicine of secret composition recommended by its preparer but usually without scientific proof of its effectiveness.
2. a usually questionable remedy or scheme.
See here for more discussion.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

5 Million Self-Help Books Later: "Staying Healthy..." Sure.

 
Fess up.  How many of these throw-away self help books do you own? 

And did any of them make a lasting change in your life?  Don't try to fool me now;  I'm talking "lasting change" in terms of "lifelong."  Not just a week, a year, or 10 years.  When was the last time you thought about co-dependency, or the Scarsdale Diet?

I'll be the first to stand up and own up:  I have some of these books.  All are rotting in a box, and I wish I had the money I spent on them instead.

After that rant, if you want just a common-sense explanation of what the US Preventive Services Task Force recommendations mean, then you can't go far wrong with "Stay Healthy at Every Age: What Your Doctor Wants You to Know," by Shantanu Nundy. (see a review here, from the LA Times Booster Shots, July 4)

No magic bullets.  No wacky ideas. Written by a doctor.  Data from public health science.

All the ingredients for a really useful book, and none of the sexy things that generate best sellers, like "angel therapists" and "aura photographers."

BUT, if you want to know why and when to get colonoscopy, why the PSA test for prostate cancer has limitations, etc...then this is your best bet--short of asking your doctor.

Recommended reading...even though I hate self help books.

Doc D
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

What I'm Reading - Updated 3 May

Blog Archive