nos-trum. pronunciation: \nos'-trum\. noun. Etymology: Latin, neuter of noster our, ours.
1. a medicine of secret composition recommended by its preparer but usually without scientific proof of its effectiveness.
2. a usually questionable remedy or scheme.
See here for more discussion.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

From The Case Files Of Doc D's Patient Stories

 
It's a boring day for medical stuff, so I'm going to tell one of my Real-Life Patient Stories

Me...three AM...on call...in-hospital...for oncology,  Phone rings.

Dr D:  Hello

Hospital operator:  Dr, there's a call for your service.

Dr. D:  OK...(click)...Hello.

Cancer patient's wife:  My husband has been feeling bad, and I just need to know whether to call an ambulance.

Dr D:  What are his symptoms?

Wife:  He won't respond to me.

Dr D:  What do you think's going on?

Wife:  He feels really cold.

Dr D:  How long has he been really  cold?

W:  I first noticed it about six hours ago.

D:  (starting to hyperventilate) Does he have a pulse?  Is he breathing?

W:  (long pause)    I can't get to his wrist; his arm's too stiff.

D:  You don't need to call an ambulance.

[not making this up--how could I?]

Should I get deathly ill, I am fortunate to have a spouse who's able to distinguish living from non-living things.

Doc D
 

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Followers

What I'm Reading - Updated 3 May

Blog Archive