nos-trum. pronunciation: \nos'-trum\. noun. Etymology: Latin, neuter of noster our, ours.
1. a medicine of secret composition recommended by its preparer but usually without scientific proof of its effectiveness.
2. a usually questionable remedy or scheme.
See here for more discussion.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

 
I've been asked where the "Doc D" comes from.  It's a stupid story, and I'm not into personal aggrandizement.  But I was told that readers want to know "something" about the author to create a sense that there's a real person behind the writing.  So...rats!...OK.

Like most physicians my handwriting bears a striking resemblance to ancient Sumerian.  Readers, like nurses and pharmacists, are rarely polyglots.  Written orders had to be translated--from the source.  Unfortunately, my signature suffered the same fatal defect as the original papyrus.  So, nobody knew who to ask.

One day a cartoon bubble, with a light bulb and chain in it, appeared over my head.  I thought, "If I only use my initial, then everyone will know it's me, since nobody else initials with just one letter.

Brilliant, right?

Only my real name went the way of my original writing, and people began to refer to me as Dr. D.  Ha ha.

That's it.  Simple, banal, but irremediable.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

What I'm Reading - Updated 3 May

Blog Archive