nos-trum. pronunciation: \nos'-trum\. noun. Etymology: Latin, neuter of noster our, ours.
1. a medicine of secret composition recommended by its preparer but usually without scientific proof of its effectiveness.
2. a usually questionable remedy or scheme.
See here for more discussion.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Help, I'm A Diabetic Who's Wired Up To Donkey Kong

 
What's the ideal blood glucose level to max your score at Donkey Kong?

According to Physicians News (Apr 27)  Bayer Diabetes Care has announced a blood glucose monitoring kit for diabetics that attaches to video games.

The meter rewards regular glucose monitoring by advancing the game player to higher levels, among other such incentives that I don't really get.

There's something a little creepy about this.  Is the meter improving my health or just my game scoring?  Would I maintain my blood sugar better if I played Warcraft or Call of Duty 4?

And, ultimately is the game controlling me, through reward, in the same way we train rats to push a button with their nose to get food?

Maybe the government could wire us all up to choose only healthy behaviors and activities.  No more Snickers, no more bungee jumping.  A sure fire health care cost control...

Oh, no...I'm on paranoia overload; time to hook up my thorazine monitoring kit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

What I'm Reading - Updated 3 May

Blog Archive