nos-trum. pronunciation: \nos'-trum\. noun. Etymology: Latin, neuter of noster our, ours.
1. a medicine of secret composition recommended by its preparer but usually without scientific proof of its effectiveness.
2. a usually questionable remedy or scheme.
See here for more discussion.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Seniors Need Less Sleep? Not So Fast...

This study of so-called deep sleep, appearing in the Journal Sleep (natch), suggests that the older you get the less sleep you need.  However, there's a lot of individual variation, so even the oldest of the three age groups studied (66-83) sleep only 43 minutes less on average (overall, including the deep part).

I guess I can live with that.  But, it's counter-intuitive for me.  When I was in the youngest study group (20-30), which was about (deleted) years ago, I could work 48 hours straight without a nap.  Nowadays, I have to work harder at staying asleep, and if I don't get enough sleep, I develop fangs.

The real take-away is that sleep disturbances may not be related solely to age.  It can be due to stress, depression, medical illness, medications, apnea, etc.  If you're not rested, look for an answer...without something interfering, we automatically get what we need.

(Yawn)

Doc D

Opinions are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

What I'm Reading - Updated 3 May

Blog Archive