nos-trum. pronunciation: \nos'-trum\. noun. Etymology: Latin, neuter of noster our, ours.
1. a medicine of secret composition recommended by its preparer but usually without scientific proof of its effectiveness.
2. a usually questionable remedy or scheme.
See here for more discussion.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Reducing Stroke Risk?  Forget Those Gummi Bears and Get a Snickers.

USA Today has an article discussing some recent studies, one of which appears to show that eating one "serving" of chocolate a week reduced the risk of stroke by over 20% (N=44K subjects).  Another study showed a reduction of 44% in stroke risk with 50 grams of chocolate a week (N=1100)...as compared to those weird non-chocolate eaters.

Well, as a confirmed chocoholic, I'm tempted to just take this on faith and run with it.  I've been eyeing those malted milk balls on NutsOnline.com for a while (I mean, 5 pounds for only $24.20!...and these puppies are heavy duty:  by comparison Whoppers are chocolate-free). 

But sadly, there's a third study that showed no benefit.   And, depressingly, even if chocolate does have some beneficial effect here, it may be that healthier people tend to partake of the King of Sweets, and the benefit may have nothing to do with the chocolate (say it aint so).  The final blow is that I can't read the original studies, and have no info on how the effect was measured, and for how long, etc.  (Maybe a "serving" of you-know-what would make me feel better).

So, stick around.  Maybe we can nail this down to our endorphin benefit in the near future.  I could live with only 50 grams a week...maybe.  Plus, there are studies that show there are other things chocolate does that may be helpful, like increasing satiety. 

So, they can use my tax dollars for this research...just keep me in the loop.  'Cause I'm ready.

My shopping cart on NutsOnline already has the malted milk balls cocked and loaded.

Doc D

Opinions are entirely my own.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

I didn't get past the first paragraph. Sounds like real science to me!

Debbie said...

My theory is that it's all the stress and worry about what not to eat that puts us at risk. I'm going for the chocolate just to be sure.

Post a Comment

Followers

What I'm Reading - Updated 3 May

Blog Archive